The Cold War
1. Six months after he became president, Eisenhower secured an agreement that ended three years of fighting in Korea.
2. Only one other time in Lebanon did Eisenhower send combat troops.
3. Eisenhower frequently used the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) to undertake secret operations that would overthrow unfriendly governments.
4. Eisenhower made countless attempts to wage peace on Russia.
5. Negotiations ceased when a U.S reconnaissance plane was shot down in Russian air space.
On June 17, 1954 Eisenhower launched Operation Wetback in response to the increase illegal immigration into the U.S. During this time the Immigration and Naturalization Service deported around 80,000 illegal immigrants. Eisenhower believed that the large increase of illegal immigrants entering the country led to lower wages for Americans, corruption, and violence.